Friday, March 13, 2009

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

I love H.G. Wells' books. They are wonderful! The one I read recently was The Invisible Man.

It starts out with the Invisible Man (known now as the stranger), showing up at an inn called the Coach and Horses demanding a room and privacy. He is dressed from head to foot, with not an inch of skin showing, save for his pink nose.
The story follows him as he is driven out of the inn, pursued by the townspeople and the police, and eventually he finds himself with an old friend from college, wounded and telling him the entire story of how he came to be invisible.
He talks about the advantages he originally saw, "for I could see no disadvantages", and quickly comes to realize that there are many more cons to his invisibility than pros. He is consumed by the madness that follows his transformation into invisibility, his desire for riches and fame, and his desire to find a cure.
It's a very well written book and I would suggest it to anyone who hasnt read it.

Next up on the reading list:

Touching the Void: The True Story of One Mans Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson
Pompeii by Robert Harris (fiction)
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (fiction)

I have some LDS books I'm reading as well, but they will go onto my other blog, Everything LDS! instead of this one.

No comments: