Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Horse Stone House by Harold K. Moon

Okay, I picked up this book from the library because, honestly, I wanted something new to read and thought this would be a good try. (I strayed away from my genre...)
I hated the book. I'll tell you what it's about, then I'll tell you why I hated it.

The story takes place in the early years of the LDS church, over in England. Its the story of Lydia and her friend Emmeline, who confides in Lydia that she is reading a book from a new religious sect: The Book of Mormon.
When she tells Lydia she believes it, Lydia dismisses her outright and asks her to come to her senses and forget the book. Emmeline cant do that and continues to read the book, all the while hiding it from her other friends, family and especially her husband.
When Lydia takes up the challenge to read the book and once and for all prove to Emmeline that it's not real, but it doesnt go according to her plan.

Without spoiling the ending for those of you who probably wont read it anyway, here's what I didn't like about it:
-Not enough character/plot development.
-Told me what was happening instead of "showing" me.
-The ending is weak and the conversations didn't flow naturally.
-And, although this could be my fault, it was a little hard to read. (Probably due to my speaking american and not english... crazy redneck family...)

It seems to be a trend that in LDS fiction that they make the book as slow as possible, force conversations, weaken plotlines, and break up the flow of the book. Can anyone name a good LDS book of this genre that isnt any of the above?

No comments: