Saturday, May 1, 2010

No Mercy by John Walsh

No Mercy is a book written by John Walsh about the starting of Americas Most Wanted. It tells the stories of several cases they have helped solve by telling the stories of the victims and putting out the photos of the perpetraitor(s) out there and asking for help from normal citizens like you and me.
For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I dont want to go into it too much without giving things away, but it goes through the process of using a tv show to catch a killer.
One thing John Walsh specifically says is that they will never revictimize the families or victims of crime. John and his wife were constantly revictimized by the press during the 20 years it took to bring some kind of closure to the Adam Walsh case and he refuses to do that to others. He has an agreement with families who come forward that if anytime between the taping of the show and the night it airs, if they change their mind, he will personally burn the tape. He says he's done it several times.
The cases in this book dont focus so much on what the victim looked like, what he had done to the victims, or why, but more on how they come to catch him. John does not linger on why a murderer/rapist does what he does. He commited a crime and now he must pay for it. If they did it once, they can (and usually will) do it again.
I currently have two more of his books on my reading list, but I have not gotten that far yet.
The next book I review will be Stephen Kings "Just After Sunset" which my boss loaned me and said was really good. It will put me behind a week (ish) on my list, but so far I've read three or four stories and only one was dumb. So we will see. Have a wonderful rainy weekend!

No comments: